Friday, April 19, 2019

Surgical options - Male Sling TURP

During a recent consult with my urologist, I was offered options for surgical treatment. I was given the pros and cons of each and I was given a few options.

The first was for collagen injections around the sphincter. This is mainly for low-to-mild urinary leakage and reduces bladder pressure. It's also not permanent.




The option my doctor recommends is a Male Sling (TURP/Mesh)




The disadvantages to this are clearly present in the video. Erectile dysfunction/possibly making my condition worse are a huge barrier to this... but I'm still figuring it out.


The last resort, and the most comprehensive surgery is a urethral cuff, which is an artificial sphincter that contracts to prevent leakage.



While tests in the past have shown external cuffs to be ineffective...


the difference here is that the cuff is on the inside and won't come loose or chafe (problems I've had repeatedly).

I'm weighing the pros and cons of each but, to be honest, the thought of surgery scares me. The chance that it could go wrong is a huge inhibitor.


No comments:

Post a Comment